Friday 12 April 2019

Make your own Coffeeshop Style Mocha at Home With no Coffee Machine!

  I'm a huge coffee drinker, and sometimes I run out of my Dolce Gusto Capsules, and recently my caffettiere broke - so I like to get creative, because I still need my coffee and do not want to walk to the nearest coffeeshop. If, like me, you also feel lazy when it comes to leaving the house first thing in the morning - this post is for you! 



  This idea came to me because of one of my favourite coffeeshops/bakeries back home in Lisbon - they excel in Nutella based Mochas, truly a treat. And, being a veteran Barista myself, I know a trick or two when it comes to preparing delicious drinks right at home!

  This recipe is also super budget friendly as you will most likely have all the ingridients you need in your pantry!

To start with, you'll need the following things:

  • Heat-proof Lidded Mason Jar*
  • A glass or Mug for your drink
  • a jug, small container or ramekin
  • a spoon
  *Make sure you are using a heat-proof jar as we will be agitating warm/hot milk (depending on your preference) in a few moments.


  Instead of a Mason Jar you can also use a plunger caffetiere (also called a French Press) - and I'll explain why down below!

After gathering your containers and spoon, you'll need your ingridients!

INGRIDIENTS:    
  • Milk of your Choice (I opted for Alpro's Coconut & Almond Blend)
  • Your Favourite Chocolate Spread (I used Lidl's Chocolate and White Chocolate Spread)
  • Instant Coffee of your Choice (I used Mokambo - a wheat, barley and coffee mixture perfect for an afternoon boost)
  • Hot Water


A Mocha is one of the simplest coffee drinks you can learn to make. It is very simply a chocolaty-coffee! 
Did you know you can prepare it in about five minutes at home and still enjoy a delicious foamy coffee?

HOW TO PREPARE

  1. To start your delicious drink, heat some milk up to your desired temperature - I used a heat-proof jug to heat my milk in my microwave but you can also use the mason jar
  2. Dissolve your instant coffee in freshly boiled water (the quality of your water affects coffee taste - make sure to use filtered water if you can)
  3. With the help of a spoon, cover the bottom of your glass or mug with chocolate spread. (Alternatively you can melt it in a bain-marie or with some hot milk to make a chocolate sauce)
  4. Pour your dissolved coffee on top of the chocolate in your glass.
  5. Take your heated milk and pour it into the Mason Jar - make sure this is heat proof! - and then screw the lid tightly.
  6. Shake the Mason Jar for about 30 seconds - or more depending on how much foam you like in your coffee!

    ALTERNATIVELY
    Use your caffetiere to create a foamier coffee! Simply pour the warm milk into your caffetiere and then push and pull the plunger quickly a few times, creating an agitating motion that will foam up your milk! Great if you like a good cappucino right at home!
  7. Pour the shaken milk into your glass - optional suggestion: Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

Don't forget this simple recipe, pin this image:


As you can see, you can prepare this delicious drink in under five minutes and you can even customize it further by adding whipped cream or extra flavourings!





What is your favourite Coffee Beverage? Mine has to be the Flat White (Like a true coffee snob!)